Thursday, December 27, 2012

Savory Dill Pancakes & Potato Latkes

SAVORY DILL PANCAKES:
1 1/4c ap flour
1t cumin
2t baking powder
1c (or a little more depending on thickness) milk
1/2c cucumbers
Scallions- I used white onion cause it's what I had on hand.
Fresh dill
1t Salt 
pinch of pepper
Make 6hrs ahead before need & keep in fridge.

Little olive oil in the pan, 2" around. Fry until the little bubbles pop.
 Serve alone or with the Gravlax. I topped mine with sour cream.

POTATO LATKES:




4 large peeled baking potatoes
2 large eggs
1 large onion
3 tablespoons potato starch (I just used flour)
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
vegetable oil for frying

Shred the potatoes in a food processor. Squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible (I put portions of the shreds in a kitchen towel and squeeze until they are practically dry). Place the shreds in a bowl. Immediately mix the eggs in (this helps keep the potatoes from browning). Add the potato starch, salt, pepper and baking powder. Heat about 1/4” vegetable oil in a heavy pan over medium-high heat. Shape latkes by hand, squeezing liquid out if there is any, and place them in the hot oil, leaving space between each one so that they brown well and become crispy (if they are too close they will “steam” and become soggy). Press down on the latkes to keep them evenly shaped. Fry for 2-3 minutes per side or until the pancakes are golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels. Makes 12-15

I had some dill leftover from the salmon so I used that in it too.  I forgot to squeeze out the liquid so they didn't fry quite properly but that was my issue. :P I served it with sour cream and applesauce. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment