Monday, January 21, 2013

Lemon Yogurt Cake

I used the recipe from HERE

I'm sorry I didn't take a picture, I was pretty busy freaking out to take a pic because Royce started eating dirt just after I took it out of the oven! lol.


Makes 1 loaf
Ingredients
  • 1  1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt, I had to use Oikos, Greek Yogurt
  • 1  1/3 cups sugar, divided
  • 3 extra-large eggs, I only had small eggs so I used 4
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons), I had 4 small lemons so I zested them all.
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the Glaze
  • 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, I just eyeballed this with the larger amount of juice I had.
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, used all the juice from the lemons, so probably a 1/3c.*******


Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease and flour the standardized loaf pan.
  2. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. 
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest and vanilla.  
  4. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated.  
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes – until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
  6. Cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear – set aside.*******
When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.  Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in.  Cool the cake. I stabbed the cake a few times to make sure the glaze soaked in.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.

Ok a few notes, I seemed to misread the 6th step and I never did it. I just made the powdered sugar glaze with all the lemon juice. Ehheheh. Whoops. Still nice and lemony! This cake seemed very dense and not very crumby. I don't know if that's because of the thick yogurt or if I over mixed it. I'm not sure. But it did have great flavor!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment