Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Sweet & Sour Pork

I had been craving Chinese food and so I found this great recipe from  Damn Delicious. I added and subtracted a few things but it was still delicious!


Yields 4 servings
  • 1 can (8 oz) pineapple chunks in juice, drained, juice reserved
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/2t hoisin sauce 
  • 1t sesame oil
  • 1T honey
  • 2 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2t minced garlic
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Vegetable oil
  • 1 lb pork tenderloin, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 white onion, minced
  • 1/4 each of green & red bell pepper, minced
  • 1c chopped broccoli, I used frozen.
  • 1c sugar snap peas
  • 2T brown sugar
  • White rice, serving

1. I had gotten a large pork loin so I just sliced and cubed it myself. I put the soy sauce, hoisin, sesame oil, & rice vinegar on the pork as well as half the garlic and let it marinate for a little while. It'd be best to marinate it over night or all day but I had to work with it being a frozen brick so that didn't work out. :P

2. Drain the pineapple juice (I put a splash in with the pork), in the juice I also put the honey and brown sugar and stirred it until it was well cincorporated.

3. I minced the veggies except for the broccoli & peas since those are already done. I combined the veggies & pineapple together. I set the broccoli & peas aside until later since those don't need long to cook since the broccoli was in tiny bits.

4. In a large skillet, heat veg oil. Add in the peppers, pineapple, onion, & garlic. Cook until tender. Meanwhile get the rice going. I cook my rice by 1c (minute) rice to 3-4c water, Brad doesn't like sticky rice plus this way it doesn't get stuck to the pan. I put hot water in the pan and add salt until it clouds (to help with the starch) then bring to a boil. Add the rice and boil for 5 min. Remove from heat and let sit for 5-7min, drain.


5. Put the cornstarch on the pork pieces and put in the pan and fully cook. Add the pineapple juice to the pan. If it gets a little too thick, just add a tiny bit of water. Add the broccoli & peas and cook an additional 5 minutes.


Serve over the rice.


This actually really tasted like a restaurant dish! I really liked it. Royce ate a few bites of it and Brad ate the pork stuff just not the rice but that's ok. I recommend this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment