Sunday, February 10, 2013

I DONE GOOD.


Tacos for supper.

I made that guacamole of course and let it meld for 6 hours or so but make sure to leave the seed in the guacamole to help prevent browning in an air tight container!

Taco Meat:
3/4lb ground beef
3/4lb ground pork
2c of water
2 taco seasoning packets

I cooked the meat together (I don't think Brad even realized I used pork!), then strained it. Then I put the water and taco seasoning in the pan and mixed it up and added the meat back after draining for 5 minutes. Cooked until sauce had thickened. Brad didn't like there being that much sauce so he strained his but I liked it so you may need to adjust your water amounts based on your preferences.

Spanish Rice:
1/2 small white onion, minced
3T diced red bell pepper
1/4t (pinch) of minced garlic
1T butter
1/2c minute rice
1 1/2c of pureed tomatoes & enchilada sauce (equal parts)
2c water
1/2t salt
1T sugar (the canned tomatoes were a little bitter for my taste)
1/4t black pepper
1 shake of crushed red pepper flakes

Sautee the onion, pepper, and garlic in butter until browned.
My tomato mixture was frozen from another time so I had to put that in the pan until it was melted.
Add seasonings.
Add the rice and water and bring to boil. Boil for 5-7min, shut off burner and cover. Let sit covered for 10-15min stirring a few times.

This rice was a little liquidy too but I don't mind it so I enjoyed it. Brad doesn't like sticky rice so we cook our rice like pasta (1c rice to 4c at least of water, then we strain it). With the amounts of liquids I had for this rice there wasn't a lot of excess liquid but I'd rather have it that way than dry!

Optional toppings:
doritos
lettuce
diced tomatos
red bell pepper (add a nice crunch and sweetness!)
sour cream
cheese
taco sauce
guacamole

For my salad I layered it:
crushed doritos
lettuce
tomatoes & peppers
meat
rice
cheese (so it melts better on top of the hot items)
taco sauce
guacamole and sour cream

This was delicious!!!!

Oh and as you can see the guacamole didn't brown over the 6 hours of "meld" time with the pit in it! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment