Thursday, February 28, 2013

Homemade Gyros & Tzaziki Sauce!

*I know it's a horrible picture, I don't have an actual camera at the moment so be gentle in judgement*

First off: This is the best if you let the meat mixture sit for a few hours (so a whole day in the fridge) and the tzaziki sauce as well. I made the sauce and meat mixture at 5am (doesn't have to be that early of course) and it sat in the fridge until 5 tonight and it was great since the flavors were combined!

Gyro:

1lb gr chicken
3/4lb gr beef (we don't have lamb where I am)
1/2t ground oregano
1/2t crushed red pepper flakes
1t garlic powder
1t onion powder
Lawrey's seasoning/salt
Pepper
2T scallions
3 minced garlic

I had some leftover scallions and minced garlic so I put that in the meat too. Combine in a bowl and leave overnight preferably but you can just put it in the crock pot in a loaf form.

Brad & my awesome friend Nathan didn't think it would turn out good in the crock pot so I put it in the oven at 375F. I shaped the meat into basically a disk so it'd cook faster & have shorter slices. It cooked for 40 min at that temp, then turned it up to 400F for 20-30min until fully cooked, then I broiled it for 5min. Let it rest for 5-10min. Thinly slice as needed.



Tzaziki Sauce:
1c plain Greek yogurt **
1 clove of minced garlic
1 medium cucumber (seeds removed), small dice
4 scallions (green & white parts), sliced thinly
lemon juice (to taste)
1 1/2T Fresh mint, minced
salt
pepper

I wasn't able to get Greek yogurt so I drained the yogurt in cheesecloth in a mesh strainer over night. If you have to drain the yogurt you can make the tzaziki right away in the morning and by supper it should taste pretty good!

I had homemade bread to use so I served mine with toasted homemade bread (you can use pita bread), sauce on the bottom, then meat, tomato, & lettuce.

Brad said it tasted weird but he's never had a gyro and he doesn't like meat mixed together. I however thought it was delicious! Highly recommend this if you like gyros or would just like a change of pace!

No comments:

Post a Comment