Thursday, February 17, 2011

Homemade Pasta (without using a pasta machine)

I LOVE making homemade pasta. If I had the time and a industrial dishwashing machine, I'd be bustin out food like there was nothing to it. But, I usually end up doing my own dishes or my mom's husband does them. :)

So, when I make homemade pasta, I usually use a electric mixer with the dough hook to get me started, then I knead the dough myself.
(pic courtesy of allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
4 eggs
2T water
3c all-purpose flour (for my lasagna sheets I use half ap flour and half whole wheat)

Directions:
  1. Beat eggs in a separate bowl (will combine better with flour)
  2. Measure out flour into mixing bowl.
  3. Add water to eggs.
  4. Put mixer on low and add eggs to the flour until they're all combined.
  5. Continue kneading together until a ball has been formed.
  6. If the dough is too sticky, add a little bit more flour.
  7. Knead dough for 5 min.
  8. After kneaded wrap in plastic wrap and chill for half an hour (it's easier to roll out cold, in my opinion)
Rolling out the dough: (skip this step if you have a pasta machine)
  1. Lightly flour working surface.
  2. Divide the dough wheel into 6-8 pinwheels with a pizza slicer or knife.
  3. Roll first pinwheel into a ball and start rolling it out into a thin sheet.
  4. The thicker the dough, the thicker the noodle. I roll the dough less than paper thin for spaghetti noodles and lasagna sheets because they will puff up when you boil them.
  5. When rolling the dough, make sure to rotate and add light flour as needed and flip the dough over a few times as well.
  6. Once dough has been rolled to the thickness you want, start slicing.
  7. I use a pizza cutter and make vertical cuts all through the dough.
  8. Then depending on how long you want your noodles, cut them horizontally a few times.
  9. Have a flour sack towel laid out with a little bit of flour on it.
  10. Put the cut noodles on the towel (be sure to try to not let them touch, may stick together), then cover with another towel so don't dry out.
  11. Let sit for an hour (sometimes I do this but sometimes I just throw them right into a pot of salted boiling water)
  12. Cook the noodles until they rise to the top and have the doneness you want.
  13. Serve with spaghetti sauce or butter and Parmesan cheese (or however you like!)

No comments:

Post a Comment